IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED!!
Updated: January 24, 2006
Note: On January 23, 2006 Canadians elected a new government which will result in new Ministers and Critics. These are usually announced about 10 days after the election. We will update all of the contact information and sample letters at that time.
The most effective action you can take right now to keep Luna alive and to reunite him with his pod is to send messages by letter, fax or email to Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) in the United States. It is also important to write to other Canadian and US politicians and groups if you have time.
Make no mistake, your letters, faxes and email are tremendously effective. In fact, writing paper letters creates the greatest impression when compared to all other forms of communication. When enough people speak out, leaders will respond. So please take a moment right now and send a letter, fax or email.
Remember, paper letters are the most effective. Faxes are the next most noticeable. Emails are better than no action at all. If you only have a minute, please write to DFO first.
While taking action to support Luna, please be polite. Remember that everyone you write to is there to do a job and they are making decisions on Luna's fate using their knowledge. You may want to consider the following points:
- Luna is a six-year-old whale who has been away from his family for four years
- Luna is part of an endangered species; he needs to be with his family to help re-populate his pod
- DFO announced two years ago that they would move Luna
- It is not natural for Luna to stay in his current environment
- Scientific evidence points towards a successful reunion
- Three years ago, Springer was reunited with her pod successfully
- If Luna is not reunited with his pod, it is imperative to provide adequate funding to monitor and steward him
- It is not acceptable for Luna to be placed in an aquarium or marine park
Click here for writing tips from David Suzuki.